Sunday, November 7, 2010

Weird.

Tomorrow for some stupid reason I'm going to be networking at one of the most dangerous high schools in Philly. Smart decision, Nicole. I tried to start casual conversation with someone at the school the other day, to feel it out... I was expecting some sort of contradictory response like "Oh, it's not that bad."

No. He told me that it's horrible and that a lot of kids get brought out in handcuffs. Oh, and that a lot of the kids don't even show up.

Great.

I had a great student who kept calling out in class. We asked him where he went to school where he didn't have to raise his hand. He said that he went to school in North Philly and that it was so bad that the teachers would hide because they were afraid and sometimes the kids would just leave.

Annnnnd this is what they give me to work with.

Then I wonder why I have students writing to me, "When I grow up I want to be a police officer because I like violence and I like to shoot people." People look at me crazy when I tell them that I can't be blunt with the kids because I don't want to get punched in the face. Um, with things like that I probably should be worried about far worse things than just getting punched in the face.

On a positive note, on Friday a student told me that I was the best teacher she's ever had. Nothing like a nice comment to wash away all of the negativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment