I'm sitting here nomming on my veggie burger and baby spinach salad while I think about life.
Keely and I are such close friends because we are very similar in one aspect: We're both flighty. Neither of us want to settle down. And it's perfect because we sort of have a mock relationship in which we get all of the benefits of a relationship (cuddling, someone to confide in, advice, security etc.) without being chained down. I have the exact same thing with Megan, only she's not flighty.
Oh, I want to divert for a second. Last night was cute. Keely came over at midnight with her puppy, we got coffee, and we went on a walk in the dark scary woods and pulled ourselves in at 3am. I hope my neighbor was awake at that time because it must've been the funniest sight ever.. I was wearing my koala hat and looking all silly and BAM I faceplanted right on the wet glass.
I laughed at myself so hard.
Where was I? Oh, right. So I went to visit my parents today. My parents went on a trip to Alaska and randomly got tattoos together. They wanted me to see the new tats so I drove up to the Valley. They also got me natural gold nugget earrings which are so cute and oh my god I diverted again.
Basically what I'm saying is this.. I went to see my uncle and I don't think I've ever looked up to someone as much as I look up to him. He's in his 50s, he's single, he's crazy, and he does whatever he wants. He is 100% his own person.
After showing me his rock collection ("This is from Bora Bora. This is from Peru. This is from Israel. This is from China. This is from down the street. And, oh! I think I have some weed in here.") and showing me his elusive cat ("Here, block the door, I'll lift the bed and grab her."), he gave me some amazing life advice, as if observing his existence wasn't good enough life advice to begin with.
"Nikki, stay single. And don't ever let anyone tell you what to do."
I've always (since I was a little girl) admired his independence and free spirit. I think his lifestyle is the kind of lifestyle that is perfect for me. And you know what, I think I'm well on my way to obtaining exactly what I want out of life.
This is the happiest I've ever been. It's very obvious to me that I wasn't born to be chained down. I know it goes against what most people want, but I honestly don't care. I'm going to do what makes me happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment