At our coffee house we have a large amount of regular visitors that order the same thing every single day. We have three particular visitors that I expect to see every time I work the midday shift. They come in together before and after work every day. They seem to be in their mid-thirties or so. Justin orders a large iced coffee, Jake orders a large iced coffee with hazelnut, and "Big Apple" orders a medium iced caramel latte with an extra shot of espresso.
I ring them up the same way and the correct way every single day. Jake's iced coffee is 40 cents more than Justin's iced coffee because he wants a syrup in it.
Before I get any further, let me explain these three people to you. Big Apple is very nice. She even stopped her crazy Starbucks ordering style for us (something that very few Starbucks regulars are willing to do with us). Jake is very sweet. He hardly ever says anything and it seems as though he gets kind of pushed around by Justin. Justin is an arrogant asshole, plain and simple. As I said to my boss yesterday, 'If I have to see his face every single day, the least he can do is be nice to me."
Yesterday I was working at the bar and Steve was ringing up customers. Apparently Steve hasn't been charging Jake for his hazelnut.
I was standing by the bar making Jake's hazelnut iced coffee and Justin was laughing up a storm while talking shit about how I make Jake pay an extra 40 cents. I played it off like I wasn't paying attention because we had a long line of customers. Then he made a clearly rude comment to me (I could tell by his demeanor) but I couldn't hear him. I asked "What?" and Jake said "Please don't worry about him."
I wish Justin just would have repeated himself, because I can be quite amazing at comebacks, but I also would have ended up fired or having to deal with him being even more rude every day.
Anyway, now I'm in a dilemma. Do I continue doing what I'm supposed to do, partially because I'm supposed to do it and partially because I just want to piss off Justin? Or do I "forget" to charge Jake the 40 cents because he's actually very nice and if anyone deserves free hazelnut, it's him? If I forget to charge Jake, I'm giving Justin the satisfaction of knowing that his douchebaggery worked.
Let me know your opinion here or through Twitter. I'm in the office until noon and then I head out to work at the coffeehouse and face the douchebag.
No comments:
Post a Comment