I am really confused. That was so weird. I don't know, I was suffering from cabin fever due to my recent oral surgery and therefore I made a billion plans for this weekend to get my ass out of this effin apartment. And one of those plans, randomly enough, was inviting my parents to New Hope. If you didn't know, New Hope is pretty gay.
Also, if you didn't know, I haven't hung out with my parents like that in years. Years.
My dad said no. I called him up and begged him because of my cabin fever. Then he said maybe. Then he said okay. And then I called him the night before and he canceled. And then I woke up this morning and begged him. He said maybe and then he said fine. This was proceeded by a long session of bitching on his part. And then two hours later we were surrounded by rainbow flags and penis-shaped pencil toppers.
My dad absolutely loved it. Although I don't know if the "gay factor" really clicked for my parents. I think they might have been oblivious to the cute lesbian couples holding hands and HRC stickers stuck on store windows. Really, my parents are that oblivious.
Regardless, it was fun. And my dad tries so hard to understand me. He pointed to a candle that said "100% vegan" and said, "there you go Nikki" and I smiled. I walked them into hippy stores and had some gay frozen yogurt with them. I rubbed Buddha statue bellies around my super Christian mother and looked through yoga books while my dad looked at antiques.
It was weird because my parents don't know who I am, and today they got a tiny peek into the secret life of Nicole. Like I said, I haven't really hung out with my parents in years. I truly don't remember the last time. I usually just go to my grandmother's house and see them for an hour or two once every couple of months. This was so bizarre.
I almost accidentally kept being a lesbian. (lmfao, that sounds ridiculous, let me explain). I'm used to just checking out girls and whatever and not really worrying about it. But being around my parents, I try to stay pretty neutral. Well, I'm not used to hanging out with them for that long of a time and there were too many pretty girls in New Hope. And I kid you not.. I kept having tiny awkward seconds with my father where we were checking out the same girl at the same time.
There was this stunningly beautiful girl and she was wearing these pretty heels and my mom goes, "Did you see those pretty heels?" and I swear to you, I gave the gayest reaction I've ever given around my mother and it was totally by accident. I literally had a mini-panic attack and tried to cover it up. My dad flinched.
Then again, I could just be crazy because as I said, my parents are very oblivious. I'm probably just being over sensitive to their reactions because like I said, they never get to see the real Nicole.
And this is the weirdest part of all: I got a big hug from each of them at the end of our hang out session and ... invited them to the beach. Yes, I invited them to the beach. I haven't traveled that far with my parents in at least seven years.
Insane. Oh, and my mom even got me a gift! She bought me German coffee beans. I haven't received a physical gift from my parents in a very long time. Yes, they've helped me out financially because I'm struggling to make ends meet with my three student loans and a car loan. But an actual physical gift! That means so much to me. To me, that basically means: "Hey, I'm learning about you and I know you're a coffee snob so here ya go. Coffee.
That was so weird. Wish me luck on the shore adventure. I really want my parents to understand me.
No comments:
Post a Comment