As we were driving through the parking lot of Home Depot, Kevin's eyes fell upon a shed.
"Oh my god Nicole. Do you want to go to midgetville?!"
"..excuse me?"
Kevin then explained to me that there's this little German settlement hidden in the trees. He said that he's been there twice before and it's very creepy. Apparently a bunch of German midgets fled Germany a long long time ago and came to the United States. They couldn't afford to live here so a private club bought them a plot of land and built them very tiny houses (Kevin said about 30-40 tiny houses). He said there was even a little community center with tiny tables and everything.
And then he informed me that we had to walk in midgetville because the roads are too tiny for cars. I was literally like "What the fuck?!"
We got to the road that leads to the entrance of midgetville. It was lined in stones and there were signs written in German, as well as no trespassing signs. Ugh. Great. As if I don't almost get arrested enough. But yeah, it was surrounded by thick woods. He parked by the woods and I could see a tiny dirt road. I also saw, in the distance, a tiny little house in the darkness (thanks to the flashlight).
"Holy shit it's real! My mind is blown!"
So we start walking. More no trespassing signs and signs written in German. He showed me the mayor's house and in the distance I saw about 10 other little homes, smaller than my apartment.
He said "Oh wait, they get smaller as you get further in. There's a whole little town back there."
At that point I said "Kevin, I really don't feel like getting arrested tonight. Let's get out of here."
On the way out I saw the sign again, written in German. Seriously, my mind was blown. He goes, "My friend Chad lives across the street. He said he sees them in the Wawa sometimes." This led to a lot of really NOT p.c. jokes, mind you. Including how his friend Mike informed Chad that "they probably prance through your front yard like deer in the night."
It's one of those things where you don't want to laugh BUT YOU CAN'T NOT LAUGH!!
Oh, and keep in mind that this was so freaking creepy. Midgetville was pitch black and quiet. Kevin scared the hell out of me multiple times. He made me cry. No lie. But I also cried from the laughter...
"It's only 9:30. Why are they sleeping?" "They're little! They probably get tuckered out easily!"
When I got to Kevin's house I started researching it online. He said "Nicole, it's really hard to find online. They're trying to keep it a secret. Apparently there's been a lot of vandalism. Try searching under 'German immigrant settlement'"
I couldn't find it. And then Kevin yells "Oh my god look how creepy!" Kevin shows me his laptop, which has the satellite view on Google maps of the town. All trees. It was creepy. This tiny ass little road with the thickest densest forest ever surrounding both sides.
And then I searched for the intersection where the road with the stones was located. And voila! I found a bar with a crazy German name. Which led me to a confusing website that was going on and on about the German settlers and how they came here to escape the Nazis and as I'm reading on, totally interested, out of nowhere Kevin goes...
"Wait. At what point should I tell you that it's a summer camp for kids?"
No comments:
Post a Comment