I feel like such a failure sometimes. It's all a matter of perspective though, I'm sure. I'm going to be 25 in a few short days and I was evaluating my life. I don't know. I always told myself that 24 was gonna be "the year." I didn't even know what that meant. But it certainly was "the year." I lived on my own, I created an amazing network of friends, I rebuilt everything that I fucking damaged. I learned more about myself in the last past year than I've learned in the previous 23 years before it.
I think my problem is that I'm never happy. I hated the Lehigh Valley, I moved out. I hated being single, I got attached. I hated being attached, I became single again. I hated being an underachiever, I quit my job. I started my career, and now I feel like I'm selling myself short.
Pardon the comma splices. I have a degree in English so I'm allowed.
I don't know. I'm just generally never proud of myself. I should be proud... I think. Someone told me that I'm the bravest person she's ever met. I don't get it. I don't feel brave. I feel like a girl who just "gets by." I just happened to get lucky and things fell into place. It had nothing to do with bravery. I only took chances because I had to. Because I'm never happy. Because I wanted to be proud of myself.
And that's, I suppose, why I keep changing over and over again. I'm constantly seeking pride. I have yet to find it. I feel as though none of my accomplishments ever existed. I don't even fucking know what I've accomplished. A college degree? Whatever, everyone has one of those these days.
I have nothing to be proud about, really.
I guess I'm proud of my poetry. It makes me want to cry when I read it sometimes. It really makes me feel. For a cold person to actually feel, that's exciting. It makes me think that maybe my life isn't as fucking lame as I think it is.
And I guess in general my life isn't that lame compared to most normal people. I have the craziest friends a girl could ask for and memories that you can't even find in movies or books. I've experienced a lot, that I must say. But I just feel...
like I'm not living up to my potential. That I'm on slow motion or something. That I should be living in a cute apartment down in the city somewhere making $65k with a kitty cat named Cupcake or something. Why is it taking me so long to get where I know I should be? Why is it so much easier for some people?
There are things I wouldn't change for the world right now. If I had to pick between staying single or being in an amazing committed relationship, I would 100% without a doubt in my mind choose the single life. I wouldn't change living alone. I love it. I wouldn't change being a paralegal (I love that too). But why, fucking why, are my goals so far out of reach?
Why does life have to be so hard? Why do I have to struggle so much to get where I know I deserve to be? It's taking a toll on my confidence. It's making me think that maybe I'm just not as smart as I once thought I was.
No comments:
Post a Comment